Friday 1 April 2011

How to overcome spiritual depression

Psalm 42 How to Overcome Spiritual Depression.

There are two forms of depression that work to prevent us from functioning as spiritually and morally healthy persons: Spiritual and psychological. It’s sometimes difficult to determine which form of depression has come upon us. Spiritual depression can cause psychological depression but not always. And psychological depression can cause spiritual depression but not always. These notes are about Spiritual depression.

Psychological depression can come from a number of causes. This includes Bio-chemical, spiritual––sinful responses to the pressures of life. Hereditary, or genetic. Depression can also come from demonic oppression (Satanic attack through the mind) And demonic possession (demon enters a person)––Much rarer than some people believe these days.

On the other hand: the cause of spiritual depression is to do with our relationship with God; as we face the issues of fear, faith, hope and life itself.

Psalm 42 reveals the fight against spiritual depression and how to overcome it.
As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God? (1-2)
The writer pursues a refreshed relationship with God––by talking to himself. We may not identify (or admit) it but there is a thirst for fellowship with God in every person.

In these first two verses we see desperation and deep longing: “my soul pants for you”
This is spiritual exhaustion. Notice that the writer doesn’t ask: “Where is God?” his problem’s with time, not place. He doesn’t believe God is hiding from him: When can I go and meet with God? He wants to make an appointment for a consultation. He’s got it right. The source of spiritual and moral health is time with God. Augustine said: “Our souls are restless until they find their rest in thee”

My tears have been my food day and night, while men say to me all day long, "Where is your God?" These things I remember as I pour out my soul: how I used to go with the multitude, leading the procession to the house of God, with shouts of joy and thanksgiving among the festive throng. (3-4)

This man has stopped meeting with other believers. Mark this: Spiritual depression can take us away from the very people who can build us up.
Do you ever find yourself reluctant to pray, read and discuss the Bible, serve God or be with other Christians? If you are depressed or away from God and his people do you ever ask yourself why you choose to live that way?

Dr. Martin Lloyd Jones: “At times of spiritual depression we should talk positively to ourselves” This is what the psalmist did: He went inside himself to identify the cause of his unhappiness and to urge himself to face his spiritual battle God’s way.

The question: Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me?
The answer: Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savoir and my God. My soul is downcast within me; therefore I will remember you from the land of the Jordan, the heights of Hermon—from Mount Mizar. (5-6)

The cause of spiritual depression is misplaced hope:
Hope here isn’t wishing: “I hope things will work out.” Biblical hope is an expectation that God will fulfil his promises (all of them). For New testament believers hope is following and trusting Jesus (Our living hope Titus 2)

The writer lost sight of true hope by placing too much hope in himself and other people. That’s why he corrects himself saying: Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Saviour and my God. (5b-6)

There are times when true or perceived troubles or fears overwhelm us. It seems even God is out to do us harm: We are drowning in spiritual depression. Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me. (7)

At times like these we feel weighed down (depressed) by the struggle between faith and feelings. The question to consider is: Am I striving to live my way or God’s way?
Tough talking faith is on show here: By day the LORD directs his love, at night his song is with me—a prayer to the God of my life. (8) He’s not letting go!

John White: “God loves you and plans for your highest good..but his love will bring you pain as intense as your joy. For the Christian life is a fight”
The psalmist says: “I will believe God is directing his love towards me even though circumstances tempt me to doubt it”.

Here’s the sort of relationship God wants with us: I say to God my Rock, "Why have you forgotten me? Why must I go about mourning, oppressed by the enemy?" My bones suffer mortal agony as my foes (or thoughts) taunt me, saying to me all day long, "Where is your God?" (9-10) Now that’s an honest, courageous and robust relationship with God.

Reality: There are people and there are thoughts that tempt us to doubt God’s goodness towards us. These are real threats to our faith and well-being.

What do we do at such times? We consider the circumstances, then we remember God’s promises. And we ask questions. Then we advise ourselves. Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savoir and my God. (11)

The writer hears the mocking voices of those who challenge him. And he identifies confusing thoughts that cause him to ask, what is God doing to me? Then he challenges himself with truth. His hope was moving to himself when it should have been to God. The result of this was spiritual depression (down cast)

When our hope is misdirected our soul is disturbed: Why so disturbed within me? The way to overcome spiritual depression is to talk to God and ourselves until our hope rests only on God: for I will yet praise him––the sun will shine again.

Some of us give in too easily in the quest to know God. Yet our knowledge of God’s word tell us God loves us––so much that he sent his Son who gladly gave up his life for us on the cross. (John 3:16) Jesus did this for us, so that we could be God’s friends.

We shouldn’t be afraid to question and talk to God in absolute truth. God welcomes the question: “When can I meet with God?” He invites us to ask: “Why is this happening to me?” These are questions God will answer.
So when we ask: Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? The answer and the remedy is the same as the one given to the psalmist long ago: Put your hope in God, The light will shine once again: for I will yet praise him, my Savoir and my God. (11) It all begins when we identify that our deep thirst of soul is a thirst for relationship with the living God.

No comments:

Post a Comment