Saturday 30 April 2011

Of Ordinary Sheep and the Great Shepherd

We live in a time that is overloaded with information and advice. Many people strive to convince us to trust their product, service or treatment. There are books, DVDs and conferences aimed at telling us how to find wealth, health, peace, and happiness. And then there are the people who say:  “Trust me, I will take care of you, give me your vote or your money and your life will be wonderfully improved.

The best that people can offer isn’t much when life really ‘dumps on us’
I invite you to consider the one person who is thoroughly reliable. Our thoughts centre on the premise that trust in him brings us everything we need for a good life, now and for the future.  This study from the 23rd psalm encourages us to move in our thinking from the physical world to outcomes of the spiritual world and the nation lead by Jesus. 

Shepherd is a term that was used for Kings in the middle east. David, the shepherd who became a King begins this wonderful psalm with thoughts from his own reality: Because the Lord is my shepherd I have everything I need. One of the benefits of our sheep to shepherd relationship with God is contentment: The Lord provides everything we need to have a life of the highest quality.––Needs are met.

Verse 2: He makes me lie down in green pastures––Great imagery for David the shepherd. It’s a wonderful feeling to eat well then rest contented and safe.
There are so many people who would love to have a good nights sleep knowing their needs have been met and will be met when they awake. 

David speaks from personal experience.  His life wasn’t easy particularly when the mad King Saul was chasing him to kill him.  Yet, he isn’t primarily talking about his physical needs being met. David has found something better: The needs of the inner person are met in relationship with God. Contentment comes from inside.

He leads me beside quiet water and restores my soul. There’s rest and there’s movement in our relationship with the Lord. It’s not easy to be refreshed in running water.  The picture of ‘quiet waters’ suggest places of rest and refreshment. The Lord leads us through all kinds of experiences but as we place our trust in him he provides soul refreshment.

There are times when we need more than refreshment to provide strength to carry on with life. At times things enter our lives that wound, weaken and frighten us. Our shepherd is expert at spiritual and emotional resuscitation––He revives our souls.

C.H. Spurgeon: ‘When the soul grows sorrowful he revives it; when it is sinful he sanctifies it; when it is weak he strengthens it. He has many ways to revive the soul: Prayer, His word, the Holy Spirit, hope, Christian community, experience. He does it!

He guides me in paths of righteousness for his names sake.
God has created us so that our lives should bring honour to him. He guides us along the paths of life that will glorify him and give us hope as we journey through life.
Paths of righteousness Is a picture of well worn trails that the shepherd knows and must walk along so the sheep will follow.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. David shows that even when the end of
our earthly life is near we can still move at a calm pace. Fear can be overcome by the knowledge that the Lord is with us to bring comfort and hope.  

The imagery of the shepherd’s rod is of a weapon to fight of wild animals. The staff is used to guide, correct and discipline the sheep.  

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
The picture here is of an inferior person sitting down to a great meal as the invited guest of a powerful person.  And all around them are enemies  who can’t do a thing.
It’s a picture of the peace God gives to his people within the hostilities of life.

We haven’t been hearing about the thoughts of a great poet. They are the words of David, once a shepherd then a King––He speaks about  his experience and hope in God.
Confidently he says:  Surely goodness and love will follow  me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.”

As he prepares to leave them Jesus comforts his followers with these words: In my Father’s house are many rooms…I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you may be also where I am… ˆ(John 14:2)

From C. H. Spurgeon:  “While I am here I will be a child at home with my God; the whole world will be his house to me; and when I ascend into the upper room I shall not change my company, nor even change the house; I shall only go to live in the upper story of the house of the Lord forever.”


No comments:

Post a Comment